Road traffic accident claims

Road traffic accident FAQs

The most commonly asked road traffic accident questions you might have, answered by our legal experts.

Woman and elderly passenger in car drive driving

No Win No Fee road traffic accident experts

Slater and Gordon is one of the UK's leading law firms in road traffic accident claims. We'll provide you with the best possible legal representation and help you get the compensation you deserve. Start your new claim today - register your details on micase.

Register your No Win No Fee claim today

Register your claim

I've been involved in a road traffic accident that wasn't my fault. How do I start a claim for compensation?

When you've been injured in a road traffic accident, the most important thing to do is to seek medical attention. When you feel able to speak to, you should contact a solicitor who specialises in road traffic accidents as soon as possible. Making a claim can often seem like a daunting prospect, but we have specialist legal advisers with many years' experience who can put your mind at ease. All you have to do to start your claim is register your details on micase today and we'll take it from there.

Under the new, government process, this service is conducted through an online portal, therefore any updates on your case will be given via the micase portal which you can log onto at any time to check the progress.

One of the factors involved in how long your case will take is whether or not the other party accepts responsibility for the accident and how long their representatives take to respond. We will keep you updated of progress via the portal when anything material happens with your claim.

If I have a have a whiplash injury, am I not entitled to legal representation?

If you have a whiplash injury as a result of a road traffic accident, you can bring the claim yourself as a Litigant in Person. However, there are challenges which may be faced when representing yourself as a Litigant in Person, and it may be a stressful and complex process.

That's why we've introduced the micase RTA platform - an innovative, self-service, online claims portal which provides you with legal advice and representation from experts on a No Win No Fee basis, so you don't have to worry about having to represent yourself or ending up out of pocket.

Start your claim today - register your details on micase

What evidence will I need to provide to support my claim?

If you were able to take evidence at the scene of the accident, we will ask you to share that evidence with us. That evidence may include:

  • Details of the person at fault / the other driver
  • Details of any witnesses
  • Photographs of the accident scene
  • Photographs of your injuries.

You may also be asked to provide details of any medical appointments you've attended and any medication prescribed to help with the treatment of your injuries. We will also need to send you for an independent medical appointment where a medical examiner will examine you and write a report based on your injuries.

How do I fund a claim for a road traffic accident?

The vast majority of road traffic accident claims are funded under a No Win No Fee agreement. Under a No Win No Fee agreement, if your case is unsuccessful, you won't have to pay a penny which means they'll be no financial risk to you. Click here for more information on No Win No Fee claims.

Are you able to claim on behalf of someone who has died as a result of a road traffic accident?

If a loved one has passed away as a result of a road traffic accident, you may be able to claim on their behalf. If the deceased made a will, the executor of the estate is responsible for pursuing the claim on behalf of any dependents. If there is no will, only certain relations or family members are able to make a claim following the death of a loved one.

The people who are able to make a claim for compensation are prescribed by law and the list is extensive, but one of our experts in road traffic accidents will be able to advise whether or not you can make a claim. For more information on fatal injuries, please click here.

Can I make a compensation claim if I was injured in a road traffic accident but was not wearing a seatbelt?

If someone else was at fault for you being injured in a road traffic accident then you can make a claim for compensation. If it's found that not wearing your seatbelt made your injuries worse, then you will be found partially to blame for the accident and your compensation payment will be deducted to represent the percentage of your blame.

Can I claim compensation if I was injured in a road traffic accident in another country?

If you've been injured in a road traffic accident in another country, whether as a driver, cyclist, motorcyclist, passenger or pedestrian, you may still be able to make a claim for compensation.

Often in road traffic accidents which happen overseas, there can be conflicts in jurisdictions and law and in many European countries there are laws where fault doesn't need to be proved. This is why it's so important to ensure the law firm you choose has specialists in road traffic accidents abroad who understand the laws which apply and have a network of experts across the globe.

Start your claim today - register your details on micase

Search our website
Sorry, we have no results to show
Please try a different search term.
Oops, something went wrong
Please try typing in your search again.
Back to top